Photo credit: Daisann McLane
In a pickle about how to spend the summer?
Join In A Pickle
TSUKÉMONO workshop (A Taste of Culture TOKYO)
Saturday, July 21 (10:30 am to 2:30 pm)
Anyone who likes chutneys and relishes will be delighted with Japanese pickles, tsukémono.
- Make (and take home) several varieties of perfectly pickled summer vegetables.
- Assemble (and sample) quick-and-easy Impatient Pickles.
- Learn a variety of basic home-pickling techniques.
- Sample an array of classic, commercially prepared tsukémono
Then feast on miso soup (we prepare together),
rice and pickles galore! This is a 4-hour, hands-on cooking program.
4,000 yen/US $50 per person
culinary programs in Tokyo,Japan
Looking for a Stomping Good Time?
Join the Noodle-Stomping
Udon workshop (A Taste of Culture TOKYO)
Tuesday, July 24 (10:30 am to 2:30 pm)
The stiff wheat flour and salt-water dough from which udon noodles are made is best kneaded by STOMPING on it. Kids of all ages (and grown-ups, too) enjoy making, and slurping, udon.
- Mix and knead (by foot-stomping) noodle dough.
- Make an umami-rich sauce to drizzle over cold noodles... and transform into a broth for warm soup-noodles; prepare a variety of condiments and toppings.
- Feast on cold noodle "salad" and warm noodles in broth.
Then enjoy a noodle feast, both cold udon "salad" and warm noodles in broth. This is a 4-hour, hands-on cooking program.
3,000 yen/US $40 per participant, adult or child.
additional fee is charged for a parent or adult companion who accompanies a child under the age of
However, if a child is accompanied by more than one adult, a 1,000 yen/US $10 supplement will be charged.5,000 yen/US $60 for 2 children (sibling or friend) registered together as part of the same group.